Before listening to session 6 in MUS116, I had failed to ever consider the fact that the majority of music I have heard played by musicians originates from many centuries back, such as the 18th and 19th Centuries. I  have learned about many popular and great musicians from the past, such as Haydn, Vivaldi and Chopin, however I cannot remember a time where I wondered what famous musicians were amongst us now in 2020. As a singer, I often listen to contemporary opera singers as well as recordings from singers of the past. However, I realize that the arias these musicians sing are often from Opera’s written in the 1800’s. As a society, I wonder if we are setting ourselves back by solely listening to classical music from the past and dwelling on the grand composers who lived decades ago, rather than listening to new compositions of our generation. How long will we play music solely from the past? Will we ever come to a place of promoting young artists works today? We are not giving musicians of this generation the opportunity to showcase their own pieces, rather we repeatedly play music that has stood the test of time because of its brilliant skill and popularity over the ages. I think there is tremendous value to playing music written by brilliant composers of old because in doing so, the musician learns from it, and soaks in what good music sounds like. Personally, I love singing music from Mozart and Handel’s operas; in our society, opera is less popular than in the 1800’s, so new operas are less common.

Are there any ethical implications of playing music solely from the past?

I believe that playing music solely from the past does a disservice to musicians in our generation today. The opportunity to be showcased is stolen when we choose to only study works of old, rather than delving into what musicians are composing today. I think this is perhaps because classical music is a smaller facet of our culture than it was in the 1800’s, therefore, there is less drive to discover new pieces. However, as a musician myself, I believe that it would be beneficial for people to play new music from our age, rather than continually playing music from the past.

Regarding the quote by Nietzche, I agree with what he says that when we put forth our best qualities of the present, those are worth preserving, and then we can decide what the best qualities from the past are. In this way, we can preserve the most noble qualities of the past, as well as preserve the best qualities from our generation. Thus, we are preserving only the greatest qualities of our generation, and are leaving no room for “satisfactory” work to be preserved.

If aliens invaded our planet and all memory of great composers was wiped, it would be a tragedy.  As a singer, I live to perform the gorgeous works by composers such as Vivaldi and Bellini. I would perform the songs which have given me joy at all times in. my walk of life, such as the sparky aria “Vedrai Carino,” from “Don Giovanni” and the piece “Vage Luna” as the words portray such beauty. “I would also sing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”, a song which I grew up singing, and which easily flows from my lips when I’m doing the dishes, or decorating a Christmas tree. It is songs like these which make my day happier. I think there is tremendous value in the songs that I’ve chosen. The Opera arias portray the beauty of the music of the 1800’s, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” holds a place in my heart, as I love musical theatre. ”